Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Quixotic

Quixotic \kwik-SOT-ik\ , adjective;
1. Resembling or befitting Don Quixote
2. Extravagantly chivalrous or romantic; visionary, impractical, or impracticable
3. Impulsive and often rashly unpredictable

This word is obviously based on the character Don Quixote from 'The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha (or 'El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha' if you speak Spanish, which I don't) by Miguel de Cervantes. Quixote is apparently the Anglicized spelling of Quijote, which means "thigh" and derives from Latin coxa ("hip").

I've never read the book, but this print:
Source: Wikipedia
hung in my parents' house my whole life and I always thought it was interesting. Now my 2-month old is absolutely OBSESSED with it so I just printed off a copy and he's been cooing, smiling, and staring at it ever since. Future art connoisseur? Perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment